- Employee Benefits
- Tools for Employees
- Tools for Employing Units
- Contact UHR
Temporary employment is intended to cover short term (i.e., filling in for vacation/illness or special project) or intermittent needs of a department. At Iowa State University there are several different types of temporary positions.
|APPOINTMENT TYPE||SOURCE||BEGINNING ACTION|
P&S Temporary XH
|ISU Classification and Hiring System (PeopleAdmin 7)|
Seasonal and Non-Organized
Advanced Services, Inc. (ASI)
|ASI Request Form|
ISU Classification and Hiring System (PeopleAdmin 7)
Expectations for Temporary Employment
- Temporary positions do not require that a Position Description be created nor that the position be formally classified by UHR. However, a Merit or P&S system job title will be assigned. Job title will be determined by the duties and required qualifications of the position.
- Posting/Hire will be processed through Hiring System as Recruitment or Waiver before an employee begins work. All approvals that are required within the respective organizational unit should be obtained.
- Temporary postings that are processed for recruitment will be announced for a minimum of 10 calendar days in accordance with Merit System Rules and 15 calendar days in accordance with P&S policy.
- Applicant/Hire will complete Employment Application for the posting whether the hire is a result of an open recruitment or a waiver
- Individual employee will work no more than 780 temporary hours during a fiscal year in any or all ISU employing departments.
- Requests for P&S temporary will only be considered if (1) the nature of work is sporadic and would not exceed 780 hours/year or (2) the work is extremely short term, not to exceed 60 days. P&S term appointment is alternative to consider if job will last longer than 60 days.
- Temporary employees will be paid in accordance with rules on pay. Seasonal employees must be paid at least minimum wage.
- If a temporary employee is to be returned to the same temporary position in successive fiscal years, UHR will be notified of the return and the expected dates of employment.
- Employees will be paid for hours worked. Hours worked over 40 in a work week will be paid at time and ½. Hours will be tracked by standard wage/hour reports. All posting types outlined will be paid through XH pay base.
- Exception to using a Merit or P&S system job title is seasonal employment. Board of Regents period for seasonal employment is April 15 through October 15. During that time period, jobs of a seasonal nature may be titled “Seasonal”.
- Examples of seasonal work would be field work, camps, student orientation, summer conferences or projects that exist primarily during the summer season.
- Jobs that would not be appropriately labeled as seasonal would be hiring someone to fill in for an employee taking an extended vacation during the summer, or jobs that already have a P&S or Merit title.