Hiring & Onboarding
The hiring manager is responsible for making the hiring selection, consistent with guidelines provided by the respective Dean, Vice President, Senior Vice President, President or his or her designee. New Employee Onboarding is the final phase of the automated candidate experience for Faculty, Professional and Scientific (P&S), and Merit positions at Iowa State University.
Recruitment & Selection Toolbox
The delivery of Human Resources will be transformed by ISD. Here's how you can best experience that transformation.
First, contact your HR Coordinators. They are the first point of contact and local HR representative as a supervisor or employee in the organization. Whether you need a new position or want to change an existing one, consult your HR Coordinator for guidance on the type of position, level, and compensation.
Staff Recruiting Specialists are here to streamline the staff hiring process and get you the right talent for staff and post doc positions. They can help you:
- Advertise a position: After connecting with your HR Coordinator on the need to post a vacancy, you'll work with the Staff recruiting Specialist (SRS) to get your staff and post doc roles on Workday and in other advertising outlets.
- Find and evaluate talent: Collaborate with them on recruiting strategies and identifying the competencies of a successful candidate. Ask them about existing talent pipelines and high-potential candidates who could be a good fit. Trust them as talent acquisition professionals to use the strategy and competencies to find you the top candidates for final interviews. Collaborate on the review of candidates; they may check in on high potentials or the need to extend postings to make sure you get the right people.
- Make the hire: Consult with them on final interview questions and final hire negotiations; they will have a great relationship with these candidates. Once you finalize your decision they will help the candidate through the background checks and transition them to the onboarding process.
|Resource Guide||Temporary Employment Resources|
|Dual Career Resources||Merit Temporary Information|
|Recruitment and Retention||Temporary Employment Agency FAQ|
Selection & Offer of Employment
The hiring manager shall conduct and document reference checks on, at a minimum, the finalist selected for hire, including current employees being considered. Final offers shall not be made without first completing a meaningful check of the finalist’s references and completion of the background check.
Onboarding for Success
Once the hiring department confirms the hire in PeopleAdmin7, a new employee will be able to begin their ISU adventure through this self-service portal. Administered through AccessPlus, a new employee will be introduced to a menu of action items to facilitate a smooth and successful onboarding experience.
Beneath the small town charm of Ames, Iowa, beats the heart of a much larger city. A city that has become a player in developing the world's bio-economic future. A city with top-quality education, from kindergarten to grad school. A city that regularly draws well-known bands, as well as emerging super stars, international symphonies and Broadway musicals. A city with hundreds of acres of parks, 35 miles of bike trails, and cultural festivals and celebrations. A city that's been ranked the second-most liveable small city in the nation.
Information on the City of Ames
- Ames Chamber of Commerce
- Ames City
- Ames City Government
- Ames Community School District
- Ames Economic Development
- Ames Parks and Recreation
- Ames Planning and Housing Department
- Ames Police Department
- Ames Public Library
- Ames Public Works Department
- Ames, Living in
- Gilbert Community School District
- Main Street Cultural District, Ames
- Nevada Community School District
- North Grand Mall, Ames
- Public Radio
- Childcare Resources
- Central Midwest HERC
- ISU Temporary Housing
- School District Information