Dependent Term Life Insurance pays a benefit to you when a covered family member (spouse/partner/child) deceases. Faculty, P&S, Supervisory/Confidential Merit and Merit Employees enrolled in Basic Life Insurance are eligible for Dependent Life Insurance.
Eligible Spouse/Domestic Partner/Dependent Children
A spouse or domestic partner is eligible, if not a benefits eligible employee of Iowa State University.
Eligible dependent children include:
- Your biological or legally adopted children as well as stepchildren and foster
- Stepchildren and foster children must live with you (or spend “non-school” periods with you)
- Stepchildren not living with you may be covered if your spouse’s divorce decree stipulates that he or she provides coverage
- Children who are incapable of self-support because of a developmental or physical disability may also be covered up to the end of the month
Note: No dependent children may be covered beyond the end of the month of their 26th birthday. It is the employee’s responsibility to drop coverage if all dependents become ineligible.
Enrollment / Annual Open Enrollment Period
New Hire Benefits Enrollment period (within 31 days of hire date)
Effective 1st of the month following hire date
Annual Open Enrollment period
Medical underwriting approval required
Effective the later of January 1of the upcoming year or upon notification of approval from Principal Financial Group
May enroll, increase or decrease coverage
- Dependent Term Life Insurance coverage may be reduced or canceled at any time. Employees can request to reduce or drop coverage by completing a benefit change event in Workday. Changes in coverage will be effective the 1st of the month following the request date.
You have two options for Dependent Term Life Insurance coverage. Premiums are paid with post-tax dollars.
Plan 1 - $5,000 for your spouse/domestic partner and $2,500 for each dependent child - Monthly premium: $2.40
Plan 2 - $10,000 for your spouse/domestic partner and $5,000 for each dependent child - Monthly premium: $4.80
If you become totally disabled and all leave is exhausted, coverage will continue and premium will be waived for you. Coverage continues without premium payment until you no longer meet the definition of disability or June 30th following the date you turn age 70, or if only insuring your dependent children, when they are no longer eligible, whichever occurs first. No benefits will be paid for any death that results from willful self-injury, or self-destruction, while sane or insane/war or act of war/voluntary participation in an assault, felony, criminal activity, insurrection or riot.
When insurance coverage terminates as an active employee, you may be eligible to continue insurance under a Group Life Portability Insurance Policy underwritten by Principal Financial Group. The Group Life Portability Policy will contain provisions that differ from the Group Policy. You may have the option to continue the insurance coverage under this option. If coverage is ported, there a several reasons the coverage would terminate, review the details on the Summary Plan Document.
You will be the beneficiary for Dependent Term Life Insurance. No alternate beneficiary designations are allowed. If you are deceased, benefits will be paid to your estate.